Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Journey

Monday started at 6:00 am as I headed to PDX for an 8:30 flight. I arrived in Amsterdam at 6:00 am on Tuesday allowing me ample time to catch my flight to Kenya. As I have not been out of the country for two years now, it was really nice to see the funky shoes and the fast paced atmosphere of Europe. After my flight down to Nirobi, I spent the night at the Fairview hotel located about 15 minutes by taxi from the airport. It was really nice to slow down a bit and although it didn't feel like I had been traveling for 2 days, the shower and a good rest did feel great. I then got back to the airport this morning and headed down to Kigali, Rwanda, where I was picked up by Dr. Caleb King and taken around the city to visit Health officials and pick up goods to bring back to Shyira. We are staying in Kigali for 2 days to wait for his in-laws to arive and then take the 3 hour drive up to Shyira. I am told that the distance from the outskirts of Kigali to Shyira is only 40 miles as the crow flies, but becasue of the twisted, dusty, roads, it will take much longer. Rwanda is very green and beautiful from the air, and while I was nervous to begin the real part of this trip, the comfortable temperature and wonderful landskape took the butterflies away. I hope everyone is well and Im having a great time. No pictuers yet but I'm sure they will be coming as I arrive at my final destination. P.S. There is no spell check now that I'm out of the US, and as many of you know I can't spell worth beans. Sorry!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

congrats on arrival

mama said...

So glad you made it. Traveling for three days is not easy, but you did it!!! I have talked to you by phone a couple of times, so I know all is well. Look for these devises that our news reported on yesterday, September 27. The devise is a "straw" that the local people, especially members of the Massai tribe can use to suck up water that could be contaiminated. A woman who has lead many safaris in the Kenya area purchased them for the people. She sent over about 1000, and they should cut down the incidence of Typhoid.